Hi,

> Sven Neumann wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> "Phil Lello" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >    On Windows XP, the file manager interface allows
> graphics files to be
> >    browsed by thumnails. I'm looking into using the
> >
> >    GIMP thumbnail library to add support for formats Windows doesn't
> >    already handle (e.g. Targa).
>
> If by GIMP thumbnail library you are refering to
> libgimpthumb, then I have to disapoint you. All this library
> does is to implement the Free Desktop thumbnail managing
> standard. It is up to the user to create the thumbnails.
>
> And GIMP doesn't provide a library you easily could use to
> make it's file loading plug-ins available to the window file
> manager. But perhaps I am just misunderstanding what you are
> trying to achieve?
>

> Sven

Yes, you understand what I meant. I'd had a flick through the 2.0 API
docs
(http://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimpthumb/GimpThumbnail.html#gimp-
thumbnail-load-thumb)
which says "[gimp_thumbnail_load_thumb ()] Attempts to load a thumbnail
preview for the image associated with thumbnail".

So I thought I could use this library as a generic way to get a bitmap
from a graphics file, and do my own scaling as appropriate.

As this is not the case, I'll write my own Targa-specific solution for
now, since this is all I'm after.

Has anyone looked at building a generic image load/save library for GIMP
in the past? I'll look into doing this unless I hear some convincing
reasons not to....

Phil