On Saturday 18 June 2005 03:33, GSR - FR wrote:
> You missed an interesting page:

> http://www.levien.com/gimp/brush-arch.html

True. A preliminary/general comment on that is that I think we do need
all of the confusing bells and whistles spoken of, but also a
much-simplified way of saying "I want to draw with this tool on this
surface" plus maybe a handful of sliders for things like "wetness",
"roughness" relating to the medium and "wetness", "crumbliness",
"viscosity" etc relating to the drawing implement.

It might be interesting to be able to "dry/cure/harden" in real time to
give an even more natural effect. Complete with things like a pause
button to make up for the nonexistence of mobile 'phones in Renoir's
day. Or possibly to do unnatural things like "un-dry" the paint, do
some strokes, "dry" it again, do more strokes, "un-dry" again, etc.

The "higher-points-attract-more-pigment" surface model seems a bit
simplistic to me, I'd expect steeper slopes to accumulate more pigment
(a la Peter Mattis) and some pigment (especially for dry implements
like chalk and charcoal) to accumulate in the lowest-lying regions, but
it's probably good enough for most things, and certainly good enough
for a start. Complicate things later.

One such complication might be a "paper angle" control to make tool dust
fall and wet pigment run in different directions at different rates. It
would be cool to be able to (not on by default) believably simulate ink
dribble and paint-blob sag.

Curtis's watercolour simulations may no longer be too computationally
intensive, now that eight years (!) have passed, or may have been
improved upon. Certainly worth investigating. I think that rather than
setting a specific wetness value, the brush should reduce the
difference between the bursh's wetness and the medium's wetness - so in
principle applying a dryish brush to a very wet medium should actually
dry the medium out a little.

I think we need a single word for brush/chalk/charcoal/implement or
whatever, and I think the correct, not-previously-used word is "stick".
It has that slightly confrontational tone which should make it
memorable and attract mention in reviews, but the basic idea is that it
is either a stick of chalk/charcoal/crayon or a stick with a brush, pad
or whatever attached to the end of it. Or possibly a hollow stick, if
we're simulating a nib pen or straw.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia