On Thursday 23 June 2005 16:40, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Leon Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I usually work from "unprocessed" into "processed" directories, so
> > does my sister-in-law (who taught herself, so my input isn't a
> > consideration). My wife doesn't, but would if she felt comfortable
> > enough about the rest of the computer (she just about lost it
> > trying to cope with XP's idiosyncrasies a few weeks ago, despite
> > entering that experience believing that "Windows is easier" than
> > what she was using (KDE)) _or_ if The GIMP made it easier.
> >
> > To really underscore the "I am not a voice in the wilderness"
> > point, I also watched over the shoulder of two different people
> > GIMPing stuff at LCA2005, and they both worked the same way (one of
> > them grumbled about it at the time, less after I pointed out that
> > he could make and dispose of "bookmarks" on the fly).

> Bookmarks do indeed work very well for this but they are obviously
> not the ideal solution.

> I don't really see how we could possible improve this.

    [ ] Default to last-used instead of source directory

Note that the default-default is still to *not* do this. And while we're
at it:

    [ ] Default to expanded file dialog(ue)s

> If I open the Save As dialog on an image that already has a
> filename, then I definitely expect the file-chooser to come up
> with this filename preselected.

Yes. I think we all understand that.

> Everything else would, IMO, be a major source of confusion.

Yes, that's absolutely correct in every detail.

What I'm trying to achieve here is to put across some evidence is that
Sven's good, honest, valid and valuable opinion isn't the same as
everyone else's opinion - more, that "everyone else" includes a large
number of people are are confused by an approach which is native, i'm
natural and appropriate for Sven.

I apologise if this comes across to you as pedantic, simplistic,
condescending etc, but I can't think of an easy way to get the point
across: Sven's view of the situation, excellent and obviously useful
though it is, is not the only functional or useful view of the world.

Here's how I see it: you are thinking in terms of the location being
essentially just another property of the image, and the file
dialog(ue)s being expressions of that property. Others are looking at
the image as being an object within the filesystem, conceptually
detached from its internal properties.

Detaching the location property confuses you. Integrating it confuses
others. I believe that we can and should cater for the second mindset
without substantially disturbing the first.

I look forward to someone else finding a third (or forth) common
workflow and a way to incorporate them all into a GTK file dialog. (-:

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia