On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 08:19:16PM -0300, Pedro Kiefer wrote:

> I've just made this mockup (attached) of how the locking mechanism
> should appear to the user in the layers tab. But that could be wrong, in
> not really familiar with the GNOME HIG. Clicking in an unlocked lock
> will lock the layer, clicking in a locked lock will unlock it.

I think the lock should be in front of the layer names, right after
visibility but before chaining, as it will block the later mechanism.
There should be a third state for chaining, showing the symbol halfway
faded out or something like that, to indicate it having no effect when
the layer is locked.

But I'm in doubt if locking is worth the space and additional visual
complexity. I mean, if you don't want to change the contents of a layer,
just don't select it. If you manage to draw/edit in the wrong layer,
there's always undo and you should save frequently anyway.

---
Thorsten Wilms