I apologize if you already received this post via gimpwin-users. I had a question about how Dodge and Burn blending modes work (They are mentioned in Grokking The Gimp, but not fully described)? I am working on an image analysis problem using ImageJ (NIH), but some of the GIMP functions seem to be useful in processing my images. I need to figure out how the process works so that I can (a) identify the corresponding ImageJ function or (b) implement it myself in ImageJ.

In general, are there a handful of recommended sources (print or on-line) that detail the "typical" image manipulation algorithms?

Thanks in advance.