Michael Schumacher writes:
 > BTW, does anyone know what exactly the MinGwPORT stuff is about? Is
 > it the start of a package management system?

As far as I have been able to figure out, it's a way to package a
patch and pre- and post-build scripts to automate building something
from a pristine source tarball. No version or dependency tracking or
database of what's installed and where etc is involved, AFAICS. No
binary distribution packaging either. So it's not a package management
system. (Or maybe it's an early start of a such, although why invent
yet another format instead of trying to port dpkg or rpm seems odd.)

--tml