I'm running gimp-2.3.2. Thank you for the "snap to canvas edge" option. I
would suggest that it should default to "on/checked". Snap to Guides is
defaulted to "on", the canvas edge should be considered a default guide (in
fact, that is how I would implement the feature, have images open with the
edge being the default guides - but since I'm not a coder I'm just thankful
for the feature regardless how implemented).

If a user does not want the snap to's defaulted to "on", they can change the
snap pixels to 0 (or 1?) in preferences and accomplish the equivalent behavior.
-----
Tim Jedlicka, Network Entomologist