I've posted a patch to bug 116145 which would move all the color
operations -- currently in Image/Mode, Layers/Colors, and
Filters/Colors -- to a new top-level menu called Colors.
(See the bug for the request and discussion of that.)

If I don't hear any objections I'll commit it in a day or so.

One issue is that it makes for an awfully long menu (see screenshot
attached to the bug). Probably some of the items in it should be
moved to a submenu -- e.g.  move everything that was previously in
Filters->Colors to Colors->Filters? Please post any suggestions
here or in the bug.