On Wednesday 24 August 2005 06:22 am, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 13:16 +0200, Alex Fernandez wrote:
> >   - Is there a noise reduction technique / plugin for GIMP that I haven't
> > found? - Where can I upload the result of my own efforts so that people
> > can try it out or even improve it?
>
> Hi Alex,
> unsharp mask you mention is generally used for sharpening, which tends
> to actually increase the visibility of noise. Some techniques for
> getting rid of noise are described on the gimp website -
>
> http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Reducing_CCD_Noise/
> http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Selective_Gaussian_Blur/
>
> I have recently found an interesting way to get rid of RGB independent
> noise - http://jimmac.musichall.cz/weblog.php/Photos/RGBNoise.php, but
> weren't so lucky in replacing the median filter with gimp's despeckle.
> In the end, selective gaussian blur is what works for me best.
>
> The place for 3rd party gimp plugins and scripts is registry.gimp.org,
> it includes a few noise removal gems.
>
> cheers

You might give the GREYCstoration plug-in a try.  It also installs a
standalone command line program that can do noise reduction to 16 bit images.
The controls are not well documented and I have found that values that work
for me are MUCH different from the values that the controls default to.
Also the preview in the plug-in is next to useless.   But once you figure out
what setting work best it is a very powerful tool.

Hal