Hi Pasi,

> I think that it should be ran in non-adaptive and non-recursive mode
> with white/black points se to maximum. But when it's ran with those
> settings it doesn't produce what I expect.
> Here's an image:
> <http://iki.fi/psavo/random/gimp-despeckle-problem.jpg.html>
>
> I can't tell if it's a bug or not as I don't know exactly what despeckle
> should produce.

I don't know either, but it does not look right to me. From the web page
  http://www.easysw.com/~mike/gimp/despeckle.html
and documentation it should perform a plain median.

I have tried with another (home-grown) median filter and it gave
similar results to your "mogrify -5". Maybe operation of despeckle is
more complex than a plain median.

Alex.