> Von: "Alastair M. Robinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> > The lack of Pantone support in GIMP is a useful example of how software
> > users are harmed by software patents, but to make this claim I need to
> > be able to point out which patents cause this problem.
> Is that really a patent issue?  Pantone support need be nothing more
> complicated than a name -> colour lookup table.  (That's how InDesign
> implements it - an EPS file defining a shedload of CMYKCustomColors).
> I would have thought that the issue with Pantone colours would be
> Trademark and/or Copyright.

Pantone owns the copyright of the "Pantone*" terms and the color names.
Googling for "pantone copyright" truns up at least one case where this was
used to get a pantone palette off the web.

> > If no-one minds, I'll submit the information here too:
> > http://www.gnu.org/patent-examp/patent-examples.html#GIMP

Does anyone update this site? Right now, it reads like the LZW patent is
still being claimed. I thought this went away last year?

> Publishing any examples you may find could, unfortunately, backfire for
> the same reason.

Especially if the page is not kept up-to-date - we don't need another source
to spread FUD, the holders of trivial patents can dothis on their own.