Jared Whiting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This script gets run 5000 times in a loop, and it's the only script
> accessing the gimp instance.
> ...I'm not sure
> how significant the increase is as I have to run the script quite a
bit,
> but this is what I see after running several loops and using top after
> each loop:
>
> Start up:
> VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 17632 7448 13m S 0.0 1.4 0:01.14 gimp
>
> Loop 1:
> VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 21088 11m 13m S 0.0 2.2 11:45.59 gimp
>
> Loop 2:
> VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 25544 14m 13m S 0.0 2.9 23:28.40 gimp
>
> Loop 3:
> VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 27796 17m 13m S 0.0 3.5 35:11.54 gimp
>
> Loop 4:
> VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 31408 21m 13m S 0.0 4.2 46:54.84 gimp
>
> Loop 5:
> VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 35220 24m 13m S 0.0 4.8 58:35.12 gimp
>
> Loop 6:
> VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 38108 27m 13m S 0.0 5.5 70:11.92 gimp
>
> Loop 7:
> VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 42292 31m 13m S 0.0 6.2 81:51.41 gimp
>
> Thanks,
> Jared

Is there any more information I can provide regarding my test script and
the memory increase I observe with GIMP?  Following your advice I ran my
script more often, but I'm not sure if my response was what you were
looking for.  If I run a script that creates a new image with six text
layers in a loop it results in about a 3000k increase in the amount of
memory the GIMP process is holding on to for each 5000 times the script
gets executed (as observed using top).  There is only a single instance
of the script being executed at any time.

This behavior is similar to what I have observed in our more complicated
script we use where small but permanent memory increases occur over
time.  I am open to the idea that there is no memory leak and that it's
a problem with my script or that I'm providing unreliable/inadequate
info regarding the issue so let me know if that's still the case.

I mainly am looking for enough insight so I don't have to rely on having
to restart GIMP for our image generation scripts unless it's absolutely
necessary.

Thanks,
Jared