I compiled GIMP 2.3.4 from tarball the other day and I've noticed a few things.

1) The last 2 times I've compiled GIMP, I've found my installation missing some key libraries at the end of the build. Is this normal? (Missing libraries differed each time) To fix it I pulled libraries from my stable GIMP 2.2 installation and that seems to work but some odd things occur in the build that I wouldn't expect - even of a development release.

2) One of those odd things is that the entire layer dialog is non-responsive. No lock ups or anything, it just sits there, does nothing (even when layers are created, etc), and doesn't accept commands. Is this to be expected in the 2.3.4 release or should I expect that something else is wrong.

Here are my system specs
Windows XP SP2, GTK+ 2.6.9
MinGW, MSys, ActivePerl

I built GIMP 2.3.4 with Glib 2.8.0 and GTK+ 2.6.9. I also used atk 1.9.0 and pango 1.8.2

The other dependencies (for various plugins) were the latest stable versions that I could find. Any ideas what might cause this type of behavior?

Sven Neumann wrote:

Michael Schumacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Reinstalling the same version wouldn't help, I'm talking about a hard
timeout there - created when the release tarball is made, for example,
and set to e.g. 60 or 90 days into the future.

What's all this fuss? There is absolutely no reason why we should
cripple any GIMP release, development version or not, by doing such
silly things. This is Free Software. We are distributing it as source
code. If someone wants to build binaries and distribute them, so be
it. You might not have noticed yet, but binary distribution of the
GIMP 2.3 series is not in any way discouraged. Of course we appreciate
if pacakagers make it clear that they are distributing an unfinished
development release but that's something we can only ask for.