Sven Neumann wrote:

Lance Dockins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I compiled GIMP 2.3.4 from tarball the other day and I've noticed a
few things.

1)  The last 2 times I've compiled GIMP, I've found my installation
    missing some key libraries at the end of the build.  Is this
    normal?  (Missing libraries differed each time)  To fix it I
    pulled libraries from my stable GIMP 2.2 installation and that
    seems to work but some odd things occur in the build that I
    wouldn't expect - even of a development release.

You did what???  There is really no point in doing such things unless
you know very well what you are doing. If you have problems to compile
GIMP, ask.
That's what I was doing with my former e-mail. I was advised to take the missing DLL's from my stable GIMP 2.2 to fill the gap for the missing DLL's in my fresh compilation of GIMP 2.3. If you're wondering where I got the advice, I got it from another Windows user who was compiling GIMP 2.3.3 on GUG. Honestly, I've been able to compile GIMP twice now, but both times I've wound up short a handful of DLL's in my bin folder. Since I don't know what DLL's I should have at the end of compile time, I just guessed and brought over all the missing DLL's as compared with my GIMP 2.2 build.

And if you ask, please describe your problems in detail. I
have left my crystal ball at home today so I really can't figure out
what "some missing key libraries at the end of the build" are.
I was asking more generic questions because I was looking for more generic answers. I just wanted to know if missing DLL's was a normal scenario in Win32 environments. Since you clearly know that it's not, you've jumped ahead of me to asking which DLL's were missing. Since I don't know (I didn't write them all down) I'll have to tell you next time I compile. Instead, I offered all the information I had. As far as your "crystal ball" comment, I'd say that was a bit uncalled for. You could have just as easily asked for more information without being biting and sarcastic. You, Sven, of all people should know that flipant biting sarcasm is a great way to discourage people from taking up GIMP or otherwise contributing to it. What if someone considering the possibility of contributing to GIMP read that post? They probably would think twice at that point for fear of being publicly humiliated for asking a question. Don't get me wrong, I greatly respect your contributions to GIMP and I'm sure it's frustrating answering all of these types of questions. In fact, I know so. My greatest strength is customer service, sales, and otherwise dealing with people so I know how difficult it can be. Let me just put it this way. The ONLY reason people are using or contributing to GIMP is because they have problems. Specifically, they have a need for an image design program that's both powerful and inexpensive and GIMP meets that need. I'm having COMPILE problems WITH GIMP. There's really no difference. People use software, ask questions, etc because they have problems. How you handle those problems WILL determine the success of the project - particularly if you have such an influential position with the project.

At this point, I'd like a little help or direction about compiling GIMP in a Win32 environment with MinGW, MSys, and ActivePerl. For that matter, I'd like to be able to compile from CVS so I need to know how to get my MSys/MinGW setup to recognize the other software requirements (autoconf, libtool, automake, etc.) If anyone can assist with that, I'd be greatful.