So I was told to see the GEGL info.
That website (gegl.org) drastically needs a FAQ.
Perhaps someone can answer these questions for me:
1. Is GEGL made to replace a certain core piece of
GIMP or is it made to reroute data somehow?
2. Why is it not part of the GIMP core currently?
3. Is it activelly being worked on? Is its mailing
list still used?
4. It appears to just be an API. Why would using this
be better than changing the current GIMP core to
support 16bit channels directly? Or are we planning to
do just that and just use the GEGL API data structures
5. How close is the GEGL code to usable?
6. Will it even work with the current GIMP codebase?
7. Has anyone worked on a merge plan for combining
GEGL work with the current GIMP codebase?
Gimp-developer mailing list