On 3/2/06, Simon Budig wrote:

> There were plans to work on a next-generation XCF resolving these
> issues. I too see the need for a widely accepted exchange format for
> multilayered images with a lot of additional information, but the
> current XCF format does not meet the "good enough" criteria.

Could TIFF 6.0 possibly be a start? Or do you imagine an XML with
binary data inside? I'm actually interested in raising such a file
format, but I don't know if developers themselves are interested. if
no, there is no point to develop something that is not going to be
supported by anyone.

However, I started
http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/index.php/General_multilayered_bitmap_exchange_format
If anyone is keen to contribute, go ahead.

Alexandre