Hello,
I wanted to compile My Very Own GIMP From CVS (TM) and play with the
code, explore it etc. As it should be just my playground, I don't want
to install it system-wide and possibly endanger my stable GIMP 2.2.10
installed from RPM. So I made directory (my $HOME is /home/zephyr):

/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs

where I made CVS checkout. In this directory I created another one :

MY-USR-LOCAL

and ran

./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/MY-USR-LOCAL
make
make install

The configuration and compilation  went hapilly, but "make install"
eventually failed:

Making install in libgimpconfig
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/libgimpconfig'
make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/libgimpconfig'
test -z "/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/MY-USR-LOCAL/lib" || mkdir -p --
"/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/MY-USR-LOCAL/lib"
 /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c
'libgimpconfig-2.0.la'
'/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/MY-USR-LOCAL/lib/libgimpconfig-2.0.la'
libtool: install: error: cannot install `libgimpconfig-2.0.la' to a
directory not ending in /usr/local/lib
make[2]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/libgimpconfig'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/zephyr/Projects/gimp-cvs/libgimpconfig'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

The relevant error extracted from this is:

libtool: install: error: cannot install `libgimpconfig-2.0.la' to a
directory not ending in /usr/local/lib

I am sorry if I am asking some obvious and stupid question, but I don't
know how to install it only in my home directory ? Even if system-wide
installation will not damage other versions (I belive it won't), I
anyway want to have it in my home, so I won't have to become root every
time I do something with the source and run make && make install. It is
convenient and I think that many people do it like this.
Or, if there is another way, please kick me in the right direction. I'm
just starting to explore the GIMP development.

Thanks in advance for any help!

--- zepphyr