On Saturday 22 April 2006 05:46, Nathan Summers wrote:
> On 4/21/06, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > another thing that came to my mind:
> >
> > - Add a (unit) testing framework and tests to GIMP.
> >
> > Details are left out for now but the idea is to get more unit tests
> > and to make it easier to add and maintain them. But also to have more
> > complex test scripts that perform GIMP operation using the PDB. These
> > scripts would be run on a set of test images and the results would be
> > compared against a set of output images. The test framework should
> > also allow to easily test functionality of a certain plug-in. This way
> > errors could easily be spotted and it would make changes to plug-ins a
> > lot safer. Such tests could also be used as benchmarks to help with
> > optimizations.
> >
> > Should we try to turn this into a more detailed proposal?
> This sounds like an excellent idea.

I agree this is a good idea. However, in case you didn't notice - I started
working on a test suite for GIMP:

$ svn log -r 1 http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/gimp-test/
r1 | shlomif | 2005-02-18 01:12:32 +0200 (Fri, 18 Feb 2005) | 1 line

Creating the Trunk

The framework for creating such tests is there, including a way to make the
random generator seeds predictable. I already wrote a few tests, and it seems
to work nicely, but then was distracted. If anyone wishes to help, he could
just volunteer some time to write more tests. I am willing to be a mentor for
a SoC project that aims to expand this test suite.

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

bottom 5%.