Have a look at most recent Inkscape or read
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/ReleaseNotes. Calligraphic pen
and Pen tool now use same modifiers other tools use. This is both "in
the sense of effective workflow" and "in the structured sense",
because it gives consistent experience throughout UI that leads to
effective workflow. Now you might understand why I didn't buy that
distinguishing.

Thanks :)

I think there is an important difference here though, and that is that tools (the different pens etc) are a much stronger logical collection than buttons (which can do completely different things depending on context). I mean a tool is something that effects the image, so it is much more logical to keep the modifiers concistent. If your argument is applied to GIMP, that would mean you want all buttons to have a Shift alternative.