On Tue, 23 May 2006, Michael Schumacher wrote:

> Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 00:51:56 +0200
> From: Michael Schumacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: GIMP Developer <gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] SoC Q:  SDI vs MDI?
>
> Michael J. Hammel wrote:
>
> > Is the SoC page correct where it asks for an "SDI manager widget"?
> > Wouldn't that be an "MDI manager widget"?
>
> AFAIK this is mixed. The project wasn't taken, btw.
>
> > MDI:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_document_interface
> > SDI:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_document_interface
>
> > Or does the Wikipedia have it backwards?
>
> I don't think so.

GIMP has what I would describe as CSDI, Controlled Single Document
interface.  The toolbox acts as a control window but each document has a
signle window of its own.  (Photoshop on the Mac would also be CSDI but
the menubar acts at the control window.  I've seen other programs
which have a seperate menubar as the control window, including
a version of Mathematica and various IDE.

Inkscape has what I would call straight SDI.

I dont think Wikipedia is entirely clear without necessarily being
inaccurate, it just needs more information.

--
Alan