I hope I'm not showing my lack of UI skills here, but:

On 9/26/06, Carol Spears <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 02:17:34PM -0700, William Skaggs wrote:
> From: Michael Natterer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >While doing so I noticed they are all bad and inconsistent.
> >"Indexed images are not currently supported."    (heal)
> Healing does not operate on indexed layers
Healing cannot manipulate indexed images.

"Cannot heal indexed images.  Use Image->Mode to change color mode."

Points:  Instructs how to fix the problem.  Concise enough (I hope) to
fit translations.  Remove "Use" if constraints prevent users from
seeing "Image->Mode" (the important part) when clipping.

And as a general, pie-in-the-sky, comment:

It seems that indexed mode editing is cumbersome, confusing, and
limited.  When core operations are moved into a GEGL, The GIMP should
probably lose indexed mode editing (indexed formats autoconvert
to/from) and a separate tool be created just for this type of editing.

More blue sky:

It would be really slick if all GEGL-apps could shuffle images amongst
themselves, assuming that interface is intuitive.  So that, for
example, an indexed editor, a pixel editor, a SVG editor, and a
prepress app could all have a 'window' onto a shared image stored in
GEGL space.