On 10/15/06, Saul Goode <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Some anomolies could be looked at, I can free-rotate a layer but not an
> image.

Erm, you can.

That is true, but it is non-obvious; and particularly, I only just discovered (due to your prompt) that transforms apply to all linked objects, not just the linked objects of the same type as the object that you are visibly transforming.

I think it might well be worth adding an additional mode to transform tools, that ignores linked status and simply transforms everything that can be -- layers, channels, paths.

For anyone else's interest, the quickest way to transform the image is:

* Link all the items (layers, channels, or paths) -- for each kind of item, shift-click on the 'linked' field of any one item until all are linked (max 2 clicks needed per kind of item)
* Use the transform tool in Layer or Path transform mode.

> Colors | Retinex  ?? What's that supposed to tell the user?

It tells me that it performs an operation called Retinex on the image.
If I did not know what the word Retinex meant then, just like any other
word with which I was unfamiliar, I would look it up. If Retinex is an
inaccurate description of the processing taking place, a change in name
might be called for but otherwise I would submit that the purpose of the
GIMP is not to serve as a dictionary of graphics terms.

Agreed. The manual should give a brief overview, which it does in this case:

"   "Retinex" improves visual rendering of an image when lighting conditions are not good.
   While our eye can see colors correctly when light is low, cameras and video cams can't
   manage this well. The MSRCR (MultiScale Retinex with Color Restoration) algorithm, which
   is at the root of the "Retinex" filter, is inspired by the eye biological mecanisms to
   adapt itself to these conditions. "Retinex" stands for Retina + cortex.

   Besides digital photography, Retinex algorithm is used to make the information in
   astronomical photos visible and detect, in medicine, poorly visible structures in X-rays
   or scanners.
"