On Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 0:10:25, David Gowers wrote:

> *glib, pango, gtk, python, pygtk..

Which Python distribution did you install? Current GIMP versions are
compiled with ActiveState Python 2.4 , but I'll probably switch to the
official python.org releases in the future.

Ah, this might explain it, I'm using a python.org release. The failure is completely silent -- no error messages are given by gimp at all. I'm downloading ActiveState Python now, will try it and see if it fixes anything.