On 1/23/07, Kevin Galligan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I've been trying to script something that seems relatively simple, yet
I've spent the better part of today stuck at one little step.  I have
started naming things with curse words, so I figured I'd reach out for help
before I start throwing things.

Sounds familiar .. although that's happened much less to me since I started
using Python-Fu instead of Script-Fu.

I have a layer that I want to serve as the mask for another layer.  The
values in the mask layer are white, so in theory, I could do the
following...

;Somehow get the green Channel of the mask layer

(set! greenChannelMask [magicFunctionHere])

(gimp-layer-add-mask myLayer greenChannelMask)

I'm sure there's a more elegant way of doing it.  If so, please let me
know.  However, if the above would work, I just need to know how to get that
channel.  Should be easy, but I have been beating my head agaist a wall.  I
just can't get it.  I tried 'gimp-image-get-channels' in the console just to
see if I could do it the hard way, but it always returns '(0 #()#0"")', no
matter what image, which leads me to believe I don't understand how that
function works.  I also tried 'gimp-image-get-active-channel' in

The function returns a list of channels. ie. What you see in the bottom part
of the Channels dialog.

Anyway, you don't really need to get the green values, just get the
intensity.
The way to do this is:

* Copy the mask layer (as in gimp-edit-copy -- or gimp-edit-named-copy if
you want to preserve the clipboard)
* Add a mask to the target layer *if needed*
* Paste onto the mask
* Anchor

the console, but that comes back with -1.  All the time.

I probably wouldn't be so frustrated if this was a big deal, but should be
easy to get the channel, yet I've burned much of the day and have made no
other progress (other than, of course, having nowhere else to look).

Thanks in advance,
-Kevin