I really like the idea. It sounds like a shortcut for an operation I perform
the time:

1. Create a new view
2. Zoom right in on a point I want to edit.
3. Do operation
4. Close view.

In fact, an option I can think of that would be quite flexible would be to bind
  a keyboard shortcut (say shift-z) to the new view button - cos that would be
useful in its own right - and then have an additional modifier that says,
shift is still held down, switch to zoom tool" so that a user can zoom in on
area required. Then releasing shift goes back to whatever tool he had selected
previously. Finally, shift-z can close the window again when he's finished.