On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 23:13:03 +0200, Øyvind Kolås <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 13:12:02 +0200, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > For GIMP 2.6, we will need high-quality and optimised scaling
>> algorithms
>> > implemented as GEGL operators. Perhaps it would be a good idea to
>> write
>> > such operators now so that we can start to use them when we port the
>> > core to GEGL.
>>
>> Doubtful. I can find a bit of time to tweek in the existing code but 2.6
>> seems a very long way off just now and I really dont have the time to
>> get
>> deeply into geggling.
>
> GEGL supposedly has quite readable code that is running and works,
> modifying that code base to deal with this properly will most probably
> been seen as more lasting contributions than changing code that
> eventually only will live on machines running legacy 2.4 series GIMP
> due either to low performance hardware or depending on legacy behavior
> like having an indexed mode.
>
>> A bit nearer the time maybe.
>
> The time is now, and GIMP will soon enough start needing more and more
> adjustments/specialized operations to be implemented. More people
> looking at the code, and complain when things are difficult to
> understand, namings of APIs could be changed; will help getting the
> GEGL code base and APIs into sufficiently good shape for the 2.5
> development cycle of GIMP.
>
> /Øyvind K.

OK, maybe this is going to happen sooner than I thought. With 2.4 still
not released after nearly 2 yrs , talking about 2.6 seems like planning
for a replacement for the Kyoto Protocol ;)

I know my own little corner of the gimp code but getting familiar with a
new API is an order of magnitude more time.

I'll start to look into GEGL when I have time but that's not now.

thx
gg/