David,

I found a gimp-2.3.18-i586-setup.exe and installed it (after a system backup).
I wanted to check the functions you mentioned without having to set up a build
from source code.

Anyway, the way the freehand select is working in 2.3.18 is great, it was just
what I was looking for.  The advise about using the channels for the boolean
operations on multiple selections worked out great as well, I didn't realize
they had that capability.  I had never thought of channels beyond the Red,
Blue, Green decomposition of the image & didn't have occasion to think of using
them.

I tried the foreground select and found it pretty interesting.  It looks like
it wil be a real time saver.  I did have a couple of observations which might
be old news since this is one version back from 2.3.19, but here goes just in
case:

1) There wasn't an obvious want to tell the tool you were done refining and
ready to make the selection.  It took a while to notice the message at the
bottom of the window to hit enter. Seems like putting in a button would save
some new user fumbling, but after they discover that "Enter" is the shortcut,
they will probably not use the button any more.  Don't know what to recommend
for this.

2) The foreground select tool seemed to act differently depending on the image
size (pixels) and the zoom level.  Might be the version, might be the
installation I picked up.  With an image that is 2304 x 3072 which comes up
with a default 25% zoom on my screen, the preview display covers the entire
image after selecting a region to work on.  Taking it up to 100% zoom displays
it they way you would expect.

Anyway,  thanks for the help, sorry to bother you with things that have already
been addressed in the new build and current capability.

Stephen