Well, I am afraid of the GIMP's future. It seems that the "restrict users and
remove functionality" mindset is prevalent among the current GIMP men of
influence. The often harmful HIG rules the day. The useful after-delay for
taking screenshot is removed. This is not only just pain in the ass for the
power-users, but it sends a message to anyone who would like to hack on the
GIMP and bring new, useful, but not simple, features. But this is only the
beginning. GUI nazis has been hired to work on the GIMP. I have read their blog
and their messages. In horror. They are talking about removing features which
are critical to any serious pixel pushing aplication - layer modes. And more.
The GIMP is on the slippery slope of the way to become crippleware.

Well, if that is the case, we need a new application. Power-user friendly, not
caring about grand-mas and their fear of advanced features. We need an
application with interface which is to newbies as much confusing and
incomprehensible as the Blender's interface is. But such an interface brings
features - and for a power-user willing to learn it is much more usable than
the interface crippled down to appeal to newbies.

But there is no point in developing such an application from sratch if we have
the GIMP, under GPL, which already went at least half the way to become the
great pixel pushing application. Lets fork it. But I want to discuss it first
with the developers here, anybody interested to go that way?