On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 10:54 +0200, Geert Jordaens wrote:

> I get the feeling that we are mixing 2 things here.
> 1. scaling for display purposes (uniform X and Y scaling)
> 2. scaling as a effective drawing transformation. (X and Y scale can be
> different)

For the second case, it only needs a small modification to the pyramid
solution. Instead of always scaling down both directions, one could
optionally scale by 50% in vertical or horizontal direction only. This
would allow you to reduce the image to a size that is close enough to
the destination size. From there on, you can do linear interpolation.