Actually, it is because there are 2 ways to install GTK+ on OS X. X11.app, and
Imendio's native port (found on gtk.org, on the menu on the left). They
implemented a native menu bar for Imendio's port, but broke the X11.app version
along the way - eventually Imendio's quartz backend will totally replace
X11.app for everything GTK but you're right that until it's stable i think
breaking the X11 version is bad. I don't know how to check which one we're
using though, but there may be some defines for that.