Here is what I see when trying to run Shift plug-in on GIMP 2.4 RC3 + SVN:

/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/shift: fatal error: Segmentation fault

To doublecheck that it's not local issue I tried again with a clean
SVN checkout and removed /usr/share/gimp and /usr/lib/gimp

Don't know if that's of use for you, but same happens when I try
running Liquid Rescale plug-in (0.2.1, also recompiled and reinstalled
after cleaning /usr/{lib|share}/gimp). I also tried a dozen more
plug-ins, both standalone and bundled with GIMP and they don't

Might it still be a local issue? What further information do you need from me?