----- Original Message ----

As an alternative, I'd like to suggest a UI setup I filched from Erdas Imagine
(a GIS app). It sort-of emulates the Mac OS idea of starting an application
with just a toolbar.

here's the mockup (I made it long ago):

After the application starts, all you see is the menu dialog at the top.
It's not that different from the current setup, but a top-level "menu" is more
reasonable than a top-level "toolbox". You get a single menu instead of the
duplication in menus you have today (toolbox menu and image menus). You can
still have the pop up dialog appear when you start Gimp, but when you close all
the currently open images, you don't need to pop it up again as the menu is
still there. And you can add toolbars for file operations and common dialogs.

The idea of a single menu for all open documents also solves the problem of
accessing menu item on small images. Imagine you are working on 10 small web
buttons at the same time - currently, either some menu items will be trimmed or
you have to have an image window with a lot of padding beyond the actual image
size. This way, the entire menu is always visible.

I'm not 100% supportive of it - it seems like a bit of a cludge - but it's an

Oh, on more thing - taskbar buttons. if this idae is considered seriously,
perhaps a move to a single taskbar button for Gimp, no matter how many images
are open concurrently, should be considered.

Do You Yahoo!?