note that this really doesn't belong here. This discussion should have
long been ended. But I'll explain it anyway...

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 07:20 -0400, Robert Krawitz wrote:

> Using 2.4.0, I tried opening three images, and typing ctrl-L in each
> to open a layers dialog.  It only opened the one dialog

It would be very akward if it always opened a new one. Being able to
bring the layers dialog to front using Ctrl-L is very important.

> (and again, as
> soon as I move the mouse into one of the images, the image in the
> layers dialog changes).

The dialog follows the active image since that's what you configured it
to do. If you don't want it to do this, then untoggle the button
labelled "Auto" next to the Image menu.

> Nor was I able to do it from either the file menu on the toolbox or
> the dialogs menu on the images.

Try from the "Add Tab" menu as found in the menu of each dockable.