Tried updating Robert Merkel and Benoit Drooghaag's redeye.c into gimp-2.4 but
it failed.

I have 2.4 in /opt and called gimptool with that prefix, didn't set any other
environment variable

Here is a compile error

redeye.c: In function ‘remove_redeye’:
redeye.c:380: warning: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and code

This is line 380

static void remove_redeye (GimpDrawable *drawable,GimpPreview *preview)
{ GimpPixelRgn src_rgn, dest_rgn;
   guchar     *src, *s;
   guchar     *dest, *d;
   gint       progress, max_progress;
   const gint red=0, green=1, blue=2;
   gint       has_alpha, alpha;
   gint       x1, y1, x2, y2;
   gint       x, y;
   gpointer   pr;

And attempting to run the script produces an error dialogue

Procedure 'gimp-progress-init' has been called with a wrong value type
for argument 'gdisplay' (#2). Expected GimpDisplayID, got GimpInt32.

There is a

      gimp_progress_init ("Removing Redeye...");

which I presume refers back to the declaration. But I can't find a 'gdisplay'
or 'GimpInt32' so they must be somewhere else

Can anyone give me a clue as to where to look