Jesper de Jong wrote:

>Is Gaussian blur not a standard algorithm that has a well-defined meaning
>for the radius? See for example

The answer is no, there is not a single well-defined meaning.  From
a mathematician's point of view, the equation contains an "r" parameter
which it is natural to call the radius, but if you use that value, it
will look to a user like the blur extends considerably farther outward.
GIMP instead tries to use a scale such that the blur appears to a user 
to extend for approximately the specified distance.  This is a matter of
judgement, but the usage is consistent and seems to come close to matching
people's intuition, as far as I can tell.

  -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________
Sent via the CNPRC Email system at

Gimp-developer mailing list

Reply via email to