"Gary Pikula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said on Nov 30, 2007 1:10 -0500 (in part):

It is largely the same story with the gimp user group forums. *Everyone* is used to phpbb forums and the software in use seems incomplete. ... <snip> ...
The *average user* has never used a mailing list before as well and feels
uncomfortable with them, take that into more consideration.
"... Everyone" ... "average user" ...

From past discussions about forums vs newsgroups (eg. yahoo-groups) in other groups my feeling is its much closer to 50-50. My personal preference is for mailing lists (or forums only if they can provide all postings to me as separate emails). FWIW: If setting up a new discussion group I'd probably lean to doing it with Google Groups.

Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail