On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 19:46 +0100, peter sikking wrote:

> Just like Sven or Mitch cut the crap when users keep discussing things
> that are technically not possible, I have to cut the crap when we keep
> discussing interaction that simply does not make sense.

OK. As long as the result is something that doesn't look like crap and
also appeals to new and occasional users.

> I think the remaining question is: when GIMP is not the foreground
> application (toolbox and inspectors hidden, as they should) where
> can users d+d files apart from on the taskbar icon?

This sounds a lot like the solution will be a lot more complex than the
intermediate that can be implemented for 2.6. Anything that requires
complex interaction with the window manager might take years to
implement as we would most likely have to push quite some changes into
GTK+ and/or get the EWMH specification changed.