Hi,

It won't happen unless someone puts in the work. GIMP development is
entirely voluntary, so if you want this,
submit a patch to make the necessary changes. Otherwise, you leave it
to chance whether this ever gets implemented. Posting feature requests
here tends to annoy the developers. It is a good place to discuss the
details of a feature you'd like to implement, though.
Only saying 'we need this' will not encourage anyone to work on
implementing it; volunteer coders code because it's fun or personally
rewarding, not because something is wanted by someone else that they
do not know.