On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:36:39 +0200, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 02:09 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> No, i'm thinking of the case where you saved those 25 steps to a jpeg
>> and the next day,
>> sitting in the plane to your customer, you discover that this curve
>> should be tweaked a litte bit more.
>
> That is exactly why JPEG should not be offered as a save format. Saving
> to a JPEG file is clearly an export. No one will be surprised that an
> exported file can't be edited again. The user needs to save the file to
> XCF (or whatever the next generation file format will be called).
>

> Sven

Hi,

I agree there is a certain logic to that approach but it should not
involve constant importing and exporting as extra steps if working on a
"foreign" file format, png for example.

If open png becomes an import then save will duplicate the file as an xcf
unless it is explicitly exported again. There's a danger this could all
cause a lot of duplication of large files and yet more user interactions
to a simple task of opening, changing and saving an existing image , which
will almost certainly not be gimp's native format.

Anyone wanting to "undo" changes made to a lossy format like jpeg clearly
has no understanding of graphics formats anyway. This request does not
even apply to gimp's target user base.

If it becomes possible to maintain an undo history across gimp sessions in
the native format that would be a nice feature.

Beyond that the user had better learn what the characteristics of the
different formats he is using are, and the value of keeping backups of
different stages of one's work.

/gg