> On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 18:21 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> The issue of Export/Save/data-loss-protection is in my regard more of a
>> bug which
>> should be fixed as soon as possible than part of UI redesign. As with
>> any fix this
>> might be superseded by a more general solution later on.

This is definately not a bug.

If you chose to save to a lossy format like jpeg you opt to eliminate some
information from your image, you reduce the data , it a trade-off choice
for the compression you get.

If you chose png or another non-layered format you won't get your layers
saved, etc.

If you save to gif you only get a palette of 256 colours.

Gimp does all these things correctly. It is aimed at a competant user
base, it does not try to be a beginner's guide using different formats.

I see no sense in dramatising this as "data loss".

--

   .*.
   /V\