On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 9:41 PM, Rogier Wolff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But then why, on a machine with 700Mb RAM, does EVERYTHING take
> so very long? My image is "only 50Mpixel".

The minimum memory usage for a 50 Mpixel RGBA image is 400 MB, and that's
if you only have a single layer.  So given the amount of memory needed for
other purposes in a modern operating system, it's likely that gimp is swapping
very frequently.  700 MB is low to be running Gimp in the first place, and much
more so if you're going to work with large images.  Gimp is going in
directions that
should eventually make it work better in this kind of scenario, but
for now and the
near future, the best advice is to get more RAM.

  -- Bill