On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 15:10 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
>> It's a dialog, that lets you blend channels from one or two images.
>> Here's one tutorial in which two images are blended (at the
>> beginning):
>> http://www.digitalscrapbookplace.com/university/tutorials/ps_beginnercollage2.shtml
>> Here's a general description of the dialog with screenshots:
>> http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=381
> Thanks for the pointers. I had a look at this and some other tutorials
> and to me this looks like going back to GIMP version 0.54 where you had
> to use a dialog to blend images together simply because GIMP at that
> point did not yet have layers.
> I might be wrong, but it appears to me that everything that "Apply
> Image" does can be done using layers. It's just another way of using
> layer modes and it seems quite akward to use an extra dialog for that.

Except for one thing: layers don't print out as solid.  For example on
a spot red channel if the channel is 100% opaque red it will print out
solid black.  100% opaque red on a layer will print out as some % of

I'm not suggesting that this be implemented anytime soon - but it
would be nice to have better channel mixing abilities once GIMP is
using GEGL for composition...