Font preferences allows the user to add custom paths to font directories. The
system fonts are included by default but are not viewable/removable by going to

File > Preferences > Folders > Fonts

Even though the fonts found in /usr/share/fonts are included in Gimp's font
selections, they cannot be seen in the font preferences (list of paths).

I have suggested a feature be added giving user control over the
system fonts.

If you are a GIMP developer, please let me know what you think of this by
posting to bugzilla:

The proposed feature request will give control over system fonts from within
GIMP, so that the user could chose to turn them off if preferred. In turn this
will allow "power users" to have full control over the fonts displayed in GIMP.