> thanks for the explaination. I've checked and gimp-print is built with
> gimp option. Should that alter the dlg I get from gimp file print menu?

Are you building in gimp-print then doing a make install?
Is this the latest gimp-print from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-print/ ?
Check that make install is really succeeding.

If you already have gimp's built-in gtkprint plug-in, and you also
build gimp-print from the Gutenprint project, you'll probably end
up with two different File->Print... menu entries. One of them
should bring up the Gutenprint dialog, the other, the GTKprint one.

As long as you're building gutenprint yourself, I'd recommend
modifying their src/gimp/print.c: find the line that registers to
(line 166 in the latest version) and change the name, e.g.

Then you'll be able to tell the the two plug-ins apart and verify
that your gutenprint plug-in is really getting installed.