On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:42:18 +0200, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
> On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 11:26 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> I have installed distribution's 2.4 and cvs . I built cvs with
>> --preifix=/usr/local but there is some conflict with 2.4 which refuses
>> run having detected the conflicting library versions.
> http://gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.5.html mentions quite explicitly
> that this is not going to work. /usr/local is not a separate
> installation prefix.
> Sven

Well that's probably the cause of the confusion, it does not _explicitly_
say " a separate prefix not in the system PATH" which would appear to be
the key criterium. Separate presumes separatation from something that is
not specified. I took it to mean separate from gimp-2.4 installation since
that was subject.

/usr/local is a "separate" prefix from /usr and is separate from where
gimp-2.4 is installed. The problem seems to result from this separate
prefix being in PATH.
README says this:
If you want to keep your
older GIMP 2.x installation in parallel to GIMP 2.5, you have to
choose a separate prefix which is not in your default library search

This is also somewhat confusing in that it seems to refer to

That's all probably obvious once you know but then the instructions are
not for those who know. Maybe they could be 'explicit'.

Now I have just let autogen.sh do it's default /opt/gimp and it's fine.

The UI improvements are starting make Gimp a lot easier to work with and
to discover. Excellent progress on that.

Thanks Sven, Mitch, Owen.... and all those who replied.

  (/ \)
  (   )