David Gowers wrote:
>> One is finding "islands" in an image
>> Another is integrals: zero, first and second moments, or alternatively,
>> integrals/sums of channel intensity, x- and y-weighted intensity, and
>> x^2, y^2 and xy-weighted intensity.

As you stated, the above two features could be implemented in Scheme but they
would probably be too slow in actual use.

>> Finally, opening and storing data files.

See section 6.6 of the R5RS. Working with external files is handled via the
use of pipes.

>> If there are other packages which can do this, that would be helpful.

A C based plug-in or a Python based script are probably better bets for the
first two items.