DnD issues from firefox AFAIK have nothing to do with GIMP... Its the way FF
handles dragging of images. The path resulting from dragging an image is not
a valid file path, because firefox cache is a bit different than IE-s simple
filesytem. In Linux it seems firefox passes URL-s and  GIMP fetches the

As to debug output --verbose and -c flags are needed.