On Fri, 28 Nov 2008, David Owens wrote:

> I've tried and tried but no one will respond... I wanted to be active but
> things came up and now i cant and all this is is really spam for me... so if
> you could please take me off theat would be GREAT. No hard feelings... best
> of luck to you chaps.

[Apologies if I'be posted this before]

When you send "unsubscribe" requests to an email list, it lands
in the mailboxes of hundreds of people who can't unsubscribe you.

I can't unsubscribe you. Try the stuff below. Clip 'n' save these
instructions for future reference.
=============8<=============Cut-Here=============8<=============

How To Unsubscribe From Any Email List

1. Look at the messages you've been getting on the list. Do they
have "how to unsubscribe" messages near the end, or an email
address to use in a "List-Unsubscribe:" header at the top? If so,
follow those instructions.

2. Most lists these days, including all lists hosted by the big
two (Yahoo! Groups and Topica), have an "-unsubscribe" alias for
this purpose. For example, if you're on the WHATEVER list, either
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or
[EMAIL PROTECTED] would be the right address to
use.

(For the rest of this memo, let's assume that the WHATEVER list
is at example.com -- that is, the alias is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
If the list has a name like "WHATEVER-L", you might try steps 6
and 7 first.)

3. Otherwise, first send a request to the "-request" alias. For
our example, that would be [EMAIL PROTECTED] This is
often read by a human being, so write accordingly. In theory, all
email lists are supposed to implement this address (though Yahoo!
Groups does not).

4. If you get no response from the above, send mail to the
"majordomo" alias. That's [EMAIL PROTECTED] for our example.
If the list is administered by the majordomo software, you'll get
instructions for unsubscribing mailed back to you.

5. If you get no response, send mail to the "owner-" alias. For
our example, [EMAIL PROTECTED] This should go to the
human who administers the list.

6. If you get no response, send mail to "LISTSERV". For our
example, that address would be [EMAIL PROTECTED] The text of
your message should be "SIGNOFF WHATEVER".

7. If you get no response, send mail to the "listproc" alias. For
our example, that address would be [EMAIL PROTECTED] The text
of your message should be "unsubscribe WHATEVER".

8. If you get no response, send mail to the site "postmaster".
For our example, that address is [EMAIL PROTECTED] Mention
that you tried the previous five steps, to no avail.

9. If you get no response, send mail to "root". Our example
address is [EMAIL PROTECTED] Mention that you tried the previous
six steps, to no avail.

10. If -- and only if -- all the above fail, send a message to
the list itself. Make it courteous, particularly since the vast
majority of the people reading it can't do a thing about it. The
message should say something like, "How do I get off this list?",
not "UNSUBSCRIBE." Try to avoid setting off a bunch of "me too"
messages by saying something like, "Please don't chime in with a
bunch of 'I want to unsubscribe too' messages."

--
| Andrew A. Gill     To ensure continued quality of service,   |
|                    this e-mail is being monitored by the NSA |