On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 08:47 +0200, Sampo Niskanen wrote:
> [...]

>  I hardly ever wish to grow the image with the crop tool,
I do that fairly often, and although a separate graphical way to
change the image size would be just as good for me, I do sometimes
grow a single layer that way.

> while I nearly always want the crop to be non-destructive.

And here I'm the other way round. I admit I didn't know there was
ever a non-destructive one, though.  But one reason I crop the
image is to save memory.  And on a 14,000 x 10,000 pixel rgb image,
you can actually save quite a bit of memory if you are cropping down
to (say) 5,000 x 7,000.

>  Select the crop range and click on it to crop,
> shift-click to perform a non-destructive crop.

or hit Enter to confirm, and control-enter or something??

It would need a status-bar message in order to be discoverable.

I do still sometimes curse if I have spent a minute or two setting
up a cropping rectangle, and accidentally click instead of dragging,
as this crops, and there's no undo... that is, undo doesn't restore
the pending crop rectangle.  So I have tried to train myself not
to click...

Liam