On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 15:36 +0800, C Wang wrote:
> All:
> Gimp has bundled babl and gegl since 2.5.0 release, and these two
> modules are under LGPLv3 license. According to this diagram
> <http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#matrix-skip-target>
> , the Gimp license has already been converted to GPLv3.
>
> I understand Gimp uses "GPLV2 or later " statement and thus has no issue
> with GPLv3, but I feel it would be better if we can bump it to GPLv3.
>
> Also, we didn't update the Gimp since 2.4.x release here in Solaris due
> to the license issue, and I was asked to use GPLv3 if we want to using
> latest Gimp release ( or I need to remove all babl and gegl related code).
> Do you think it's proper if we keep a internal patch for the time being
> to apply GPLv3 to Gimp in Solaris.

As mentioned in other replies, there is nothing in gimp's dependency
on gegl and babl that would *require* gimp to be GPL3 too.

However, I have been suggesting moving to GPL3 on irc about 5
times and just never got around writing a mail to gimp-developer.

So finally, I hereby suggest to move to GPL3 asap.

Comments from any developers appreciated.

ciao,
--mitch